Tomorrow I am excited to present a new workshop for the California Society of Association Executives. It is an association for people who run associations -- usually paid staff, rather than volunteers. Although the session they selected is called "50 Ways To Go Gaga for Google" I always like going the extra mile! So here is a links to a wonderful article by Karl Hodge which has 101 Google Tips and Tricks.
Here are the first 10 to get you started...
1. The best way to begin searching harder with Google is by clicking theAdvanced Search link.
2. This lets you search for exact phrases, "all these words", or one of the specified keywords by entering search terms into the appropriate box.
3. You can also define how many results you want on the page, what language and what file type you're looking for, all with menus.
4. Advanced Search lets you type in a Top Level Domain (like .co.uk) in the "Search within site of domain" box to restrict results.
5. And you can click the "Date, usage rights, numeric range and more" link to access more advanced features.
6. Save time – most of these advanced features are also available in Google's front page search box, as command line parameters.
7. Google's main search invisibly combines search terms with the Boolean construct "AND". When you enter smoke fire – it looks for smoke AND fire.
8. To make Google search for smoke or fire, just type smoke OR fire
9. Boolean connectors like AND and OR are case sensitive. They must be upper case.
And here are some of my favorites!
18. You can also ask Google to fill in a blank. Try: Christopher Columbus discovered *
27. Find live webcams by searching for: inurl:view/view.shtml
29. Want to know how many links there are to a site? Try link:sitename – for example link:www.mozilla.org
41. Using the "location:" filter enables you to return news from a chosen country. location:uk for example.
55. No calculator handy? Use Google's built in features. Try typing 12*15 and hitting "Google Search".
If you like these tips don't forget to check out the entire article... AND if you have a favorite tip or trick PLEASE share it here!