Louis Moore, fitness guru from the City of Houston, Texas recently left a comment on my blog about the benefits of water exercise which I happened to be reading on the day of Thanksgiving. (There's a reason they call it stuffing, you know.)
Anyway, Louis mentioned that water walking burns 4 times as many calories as walking on land which made me think that I trip to the pool would be a great way to combat post Thanksgiving indulgences. Alas, while a water workout would have been full of health benefits, I'm afraid the only thing that got a workout today was my credit cards. While I did my part for the economy, I'm afraid I didn't do much for my cardiovascular system.
But, after doing a bit more research I came across a great article called, Burn Off Holiday Calories - No
Gym Time Required at sparkpeople.com written by personal trainer, Nicole Nichols. In the spirit of functional fitness fans, Nicole, has come up with a great list of calorie calculations for those of us who can't seem to find their way to the pool during this busy holiday season. If you're anything like me, you'll be thrilled to learn that, even baking and lugging groceries can burn calories (as long as you're not sampling at the same time!) I've listed some of Nicole's suggestions for burning off calories while preparing your home and your life for guests, friends and families this holiday season. Click here to see her complete list.
- Light baking (no sampling allowed): 1 hour = 159 calories
- Tending bar for guests (not drinking it yourself!): 1 hour = 146 calories
- Socializing while standing: 1 hour = 127 calories
- Changing bed linens (for the out-of-town guests): 15 minutes = 40 calories
- Playing catch (baseball or football): 30 minutes = 79 calories
- Raking lawn: 30 minutes = 137 calories
- Grocery shopping (with cart): 30 minutes = 73 calories
- Loading & Unloading the car (suitcases, groceries, kids): 10 minutes = 32 calories
- Bathing dog (to look and smell pretty for guests!): 15 minutes = 56 calories
- Sitting and wrapping gifts or making crafts: 30 minutes = 48
- Bagging grass & leaves: 30 minutes = 127 calories
Read Nicole's complete list and leave a COMMENT below sharing your favorite functional fitness activity. And remember -- this site is rated PG-13.